Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Happy 2008

I've been gone so long, I wanted to post the perfect post to catch everybody up on things (all two of you who are hopefully not yet fed up with my sparse-posting ways). And then I realized that if I waited until I wrote that post, I may well be wishing you both a happy 2009.

So, in a nutshell.

1) Bad - Writers' Strike has put both of us out of work. Merry Christmas... as long as no one is too stuck on having a roof overhead or food on table.

2) Good - One of my former web jobs totally came through, and has provided both Laughing Boy and me with part time work. It's at half our regular rate, and no benefits, but it's better than we'd make on unemployment so... yay us! Not quite enough to cover all the bills, and will probably dry up by middle of February. But we won't have to give up eating until March at the earliest, so I'm calling it a "good".

3) Bad - The day after the last of the TV shows we work on closed down, my car had to go into the shop. And again the day after that... and again two days after that. And again yesterday. All for different things. The best part is, the one this week is from a sensor that one of the mechanics or tow truck drivers broke off and GLUED back together. We're on our third mechanic in a month, so there's no way of knowing which one did it, so we can't present them with the bill for that last piece of nonsense. The universe has a crappy sense of humor. And if you've got an address, I'm planning on sticking it with the combined invoices. $2,200, all told.

4) Good - We finally - after 7 months of construction, and 5 YEARS of treating the largest room in our house as a giant hamper and cat sanctuary - moved into our master bedroom. Pics to follow, as soon as I can track down batteries or my USB card reader.

5) Bad - I've spent the last month sick, having been knocked out with a kidney infection, followed two weeks later by a cold/cough/sore throat for Christmas. Which I passed on to LB, of course. Sorry, honey!

6) Good - As of today, we both seem to be finally over it.


The rest of it's pretty boring. I managed to finish all my Christmas present knitting projects (all sixteen of them). We've cleaned up most of the debris from the 9 months of construction displacement. We had the excuse of being out of work, so we were able to spend Christmas under the radar, thereby avoiding all of the usual pitfalls. And Banana Dog didn't get bitten by the Opossum she tried to befriend in the backyard last night. So we're hanging on.

And now that we can both sit up and breathe at the same time, I like to think 2008 will go better.

Hey Universe, don't disillusion me yet.

3 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, January 09, 2008, Blogger Romance said...

Wow!!!

Sorry about the writers strike fall out - I have other friends who are also out of work right now for the same reason...

Also sorry to hear about the kidney infection- I had one Oct/Nov and then the flu and it kicked my ass!!!

Glad your construction is done.. I am sure the animals will appreciate a fresh new place to stake out.

peace and happy new year

BWB (I cannot figure out how to use my typepad account with blogger anymore)

 
At 8:19 PM, January 10, 2008, Blogger Calamity Jen said...

Welcome back. Sounds like it's been up and down for you lately. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that 2008 has more "goods" than "bads" in store for you.

 
At 1:15 AM, January 12, 2008, Blogger panda said...

Thanks, BWB and Calamity Jen! It's great to be back, and having LB on board for the ride really helps with the knocked down/get back up stuff.

I know we're SOOOOO much more fortunate than many of our coworkers with having a side job pop up just when we needed it. On the other hand, most of our coworkers have more fiscal sense than to share a single career track with their significant others.

Glad to see, via both your blogs, that you're also alive and kicking in 2008!

Panda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home